In our previous blog, we emphasized the importance of scheduling your Certified in Cybersecurity (CC) exam and diving into training. Now let’s look at how to stay on track to get certified in 30 days.
You may experience fear creeping in as it often does with big life changes like career pursuits. But it’s important to move forward. Keep your focus on your end goal: becoming CC-certified and joining the ISC2 global community of cybersecurity professionals as a member.
Strengthen your understanding of the topics covered on the exam with the Official ISC2 CC eTextbook. If you need extra support, watch one of our CC Exam Ready webinars on demand, where our expert panel answers questions and concerns you may have leading up to exam day.
Rest assured, there are strategies you can use to maintain your focus on preparing for your CC exam.
- Work backwards from your exam date. The CC course takes about 10-14 hours to complete. Make sure you dedicate enough time each week so you can get through the course content. Don’t rush it. Make sure you’re spending time on each topic so you’re confident you understand the material.
- To help encourage accountability, share your plans for CC certification in 30 days with friends, family and colleagues. Share your progress on social media and bask in their support and encouragement as you make your way to exam day.
- Use positive reinforcement. Reward yourself for achieving study milestones.
- Don’t forget to take short breaks during study sessions to recharge. Resting your mind can improve focus and information retention.
Stay on Track
As you start to get ready for the exam, it’s important to commit to a study plan and stick to it. Here are some tips to help you stay on track while taking the self-paced course.
- Prepare and organize. Start studying early and create a schedule to avoid last-minute cramming. Organize your study materials and notes so you feel more in control of the process.
- Limit distractions. Find a quiet, comfortable study space to minimize distractions and improve your focus.
- Break it down. Divide your study materials into smaller, manageable chunks. Focus on one topic at a time and set achievable goals for each study session. Use the eTextbook as a supplementary resource to acquire a basic understanding of cybersecurity concepts.
- Practice and practice again. Familiarize yourself with the exam format and types of questions by taking the CC training practice quizzes and preparing with CC flash cards.
- Use a study planner. Use a study planner to schedule your sessions and set specific study goals. Note the topics you plan to cover and track your progress as you complete them.
- Create checklists. As you complete tasks, mark them as done. This will give you a sense of accomplishment as you see the list of complete items grow.
- Keep an eye on time. Track the time you spend studying each topic with time management apps. They’ll help you stay focused and allocate your study time more efficiently.
- Chart your progress. Create visuals that represent your progress. Track the number of topics covered, percentage of completion for each subject and the number of practice questions answered correctly.
- Take breaks. During study sessions, take short breaks to recharge. Step away from your study area, go for a walk or do something enjoyable to relax your mind.
- Think positively. Imagine yourself passing the exam. Visualize a positive outcome and focus on your strengths and abilities.
Keep your eyes on the prize to stay inspired throughout your CC certification journey. Download the ISC2 Exam Action Plan for exam policies and testing guidelines and details on what to expect heading into your exam. You’ll also find resources and pro tips to move forward with confidence.
In our next blog, we’ll look at how to get ready for exam day.
Read the entire blog series:
Blog 4: Get Ready for Exam Day