Use Your Knowledge. Leave a Legacy. Build the Future Profession.
ISC2 is starting the process to create a Unified Body of Knowledge for the cybersecurity profession. The output of this project will include:
- A refresh of all ISC2 Common Bodies of Knowledge (CBKs) across certifications and their respective domains
- A single corpus that expands and grows to support cybersecurity career journeys
- A knowledge management system that is ISO 30410-compliant and offers a global, multi-channel knowledge distribution platform
ISC2 certified members, as well as cybersecurity professionals without ISC2 or other certifications, will be invited to participate in the development of this cybersecurity Unified Body of Knowledge. This project is underway with plans to publish a Unified Body of Knowledge by December 31, 2024.
This project will transition ISC2 from scheme-dependent common bodies of knowledge to a single ISC2 Unified Body of Knowledge, which supports a cybersecurity knowledge management strategy from foundational to advanced concepts. This project will also result in a complete refresh of the current collection ISC2 CBKs which will result in:
- Development of new insights and perspectives that will promote innovation and improvement of existing knowledge management methods
- Stronger networks that will help facilitate the exchange of ideas for new perspectives and diversity of thought
- Retiring previously accepted ideas and practices that have become dated or obsolete
- Ease in collaboration between ISC2, its members and volunteers
Several workshops will be held throughout 2024 with the initial being a writing workshop to be held in January 2024. CISSP holders are invited to participate in this first workshop and can apply to participate via the Volunteer Form. A subject matter expert (SME) workshop will be held later in the year. Upon completion of this step of the process, ISC2 will invite professionals from the industry at large (no certification required) to engage in feedback as the corpus is built.
Upon completion, the Unified Body of Knowledge will provide the cybersecurity profession with a single source of knowledge that is accurate, well-sourced and easily accessible to support the education needs of professionals in their career journeys from beginner to expert through an online portal.
The portal will provide members, non-members and the cyber-curious a place to reach cybersecurity practices, cutting edge approaches, evergreen knowledge and role-specific insights and thought leadership created by security professionals for security professionals.
Editorial Review Board
The Editorial Review Board is made up of ISC2-certified individuals who have authored CBKs for ISC2 certifications and who will continue to be involved in the development of the Unified Body of Knowledge.
- Aaron Kraus, CISSP, CCSP
- Mano Paul, CISSP, CSSLP
- Joseph Steinberg, ISSAP, ISSMP, CISSP, CSSLP
- Mike Wills, CISSP, SSCP
ISC2 is seeking between 80-100 CISSP holders to participate in the Writing Workshop to be held virtually in January 2024. Ideal candidates have technical writing experience, or industry experience writing, editing or publishing knowledge publications and have proficiency of the English language.
CISSP-holders are invited to contribute to this first round of development by signing up as an ISC2 Volunteer and selecting the “Serving on the Technical Domain Advisory Panel” listed within Knowledge Sharing and Content. Volunteers selected for this role will receive CPE credits. Apply at https://www.isc2.org/volunteer