Volunteering with ISC2
Q: What is the purpose of the Volunteer Program?
A: Our goal is to create a solid unified volunteer program to enhance the volunteer experience for ISC2 members and other stakeholders, and to recognize and highlight their positive impact and contributions to their local and professional cybersecurity communities. This program will consolidate all ISC2 volunteer opportunities with strategic identity and focus. The program will be recognized as integral to ISC2‘s mission and will clearly communicate the strategic connection and importance of volunteer work on the mission and strategic focus of the organization.
Q: What does volunteering have to offer?
A: There are a lot of reasons and benefits to volunteering with ISC2. To name a few:
- Earn Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits - earn valuable CPE credits through contributing your time and participation in various professional volunteer activities.
- Expand your network of cybersecurity professionals - make new connections with other professionals in the field. Expand on your existing community of friends and colleagues with different backgrounds and insights.
- Develop valuable leadership skills - develop new skills and provide valuable, practical experience. Working in volunteer settings will help you learn strategic thinking, change management and conflict resolution skills which will help develop or enhance your leadership potential.
- Give back to the profession and local community – volunteering provides an excellent opportunity to positively affect change or support a cause that you are passionate about. Getting involved offers you the chance to provide specific knowledge or expertise that can really make a difference to an individual or community.
- Gain a sense of self-accomplishment and self-confidence – boost your self-confidence, self-esteem, and life satisfaction by doing good for others and the community, it provides a natural sense of accomplishment.
Q: Who can be a volunteer?
A: Anyone! Both members of ISC2 and non-members who are interested in making an impact and giving back to the cybersecurity community are eligible to be an ISC2 volunteer. The larger the pool of volunteers, the greater the variety of perspectives and ideas that will benefit our organization. Our volunteer base will be of diverse composition so that they bring a broad perspective, a wealth of ideas, and a depth of understanding of member interests to their volunteer role.
Q: How do I volunteer?
A: Follow the steps provided here to learn how to get started volunteering at ISC2.
Q: How do I get informed of volunteer opportunities available?
A: You can visit the volunteer program homepage to fill out the volunteer interest form at any time and view all available volunteer opportunities. To receive communications on current/open volunteer opportunities, be sure you are opted in to the "volunteer opportunities" under the News & Resources category. Opting in will allow you to receive email invitations to apply for new opportunities that match your interest and qualifications.
Q: How soon will I get notified if I am chosen for any volunteer position?
A: The staff liaison for the volunteer group/activity will be in contact with you as soon as you are selected for a volunteer position. You will be contacted via email with an invitation letter to serve. This invitation will include specific information on the volunteer role; i.e. charge and key initiatives, work plan, commitment expectations and term of service. You will be given a specific date to accept or decline the invitation.
Q: How likely will I be chosen for my preferred volunteer opportunity?
A: By filling out the volunteer profile interest form and providing as much information about yourself, your interest, your preferred volunteer activity, the more we can align your interests, skills and expertise the volunteer opportunity available. We will take into consideration important factors such as diversity of composition of a volunteer group, time commitment and other criteria for selection.
Q: Who do I contact if I have questions or issues with the ISC2 Volunteer Program?
A: You may contact email@example.com or any questions regarding the program. ISC2 staff will direct your query if more specific information is required.
Q: Are there any resources available to learn more about it?
A: Yes, resources to the program can be found here.