ISC2 Board Elections
Board of Directors Names Candidates
The candidates for the ISC2 Board of Directors election have been announced. Thank you to everyone who submitted their nomination.Meet the Candidates
About Board Elections
- Domingo Castillo, CISSP (United States)
- Eiji Kuwana, CISSP (Japan)
- Jorge Ochoa, CISSP (Guatemala)
- Judith Sarjeant, CISSP (Barbados)
- Lisa Young, CISSP (United States)
- May Brooks-Kempler, CISSP, HCISPP (United Arab Emirates)
- Samara Moore, CISSP (United States)
Key dates for the 2023 Board of Directors Election can be found below:
- May 15 – Open Call for Board Nominations open to eligible ISC2 members
- June 14 – Open Call for Board Nomination closes
- July 13 – ISC2 will publish the Board of Director candidates
- October 4 – Voting instructions are distributed to eligible ISC2 members
- October 11 – Board of Directors Election opens
- October 25 – Board of Directors Election closes
- November 1 – Elected candidates are announced
Q: How does the ISC2 Board of Directors election process work?
A: The election process begins with the Open Call for Nominations, during which any qualified member in good standing can nominate themselves to serve on the Board. The ISC2 Board of Directors Nominations Committee is responsible for this process and will evaluate and select the candidates who will be presented to the membership for the election.
The election takes place for two weeks every year. All members in good standing as of May 15, 2023, and of the date of the election may vote.
Elections are determined by a plurality of the votes cast.
Q: How does Open Call for Nominations work?
A: Members interested in self-nominating themselves for consideration by the Board can visit www.isc2.org/nominate to learn more and begin the nomination application. Watch the 2023 Election and Open Call Process webinar to learn what the Nominations Committee and Board is looking for in Director candidates this year.
To qualify, nominees must be an ISC2 certified member in good standing – current with AMF payments, active with CPE credits and adhering to and upholding the Code of Ethics – as of the announcement date.
To be considered for an open ISC2 Board of Directors position, self-nomination applications will need to include:
- Personal background information
- Two letters of recommendation
- A completed questionnaire including how you will provide direction and support of the organization’s strategy
- A description of your previous service experiences with other organizations
When the call for nominations has closed, all completed nominations will be provided to the Nominations Committee for review and scoring. At the end of June, the Committee will make their selections for nominees to move forward to the next round for interviews with the Board, which will take place in July.
All members who participate in the call for nominations but are not selected will receive feedback. Board participation is not just an essential part of our corporate governance, but also an important professional development and learning opportunity for many members.
Q: Who is eligible to vote in the Board election?
A: Certified ISC2 members in good standing as of May 15, 2023 and remaining in good standing through the date of the election can participate in the Board of Directors election process. “In good standing” is defined as being up to date with all AMF and CPE requirements and having no open ethical investigations.
Q: What does the Board look for in candidates?
A: The Board is looking for a balance of experience and particular personal characteristics. Ideal candidates should:
- Have an established record of leadership in the field of information systems security.
- Have experience in a managing or directing strategic program across an enterprise.
- Have earned the respect and trust of peers in the subject of information security.
- Have an established record of advancing the field of information security.
- Have not been a salaried employee of ISC2 or its affiliates.
- Possess the ability to: listen, analyze, think clearly and creatively, and work well with people both individually and in a group.
- Have the willingness to prepare for and attend four or more in-person Board meetings, weekly teleconferences and committee meetings, ask questions, take responsibility and follow through on a given assignment, and read and understand financial statements.
- Create opportunities for ISC2.
- Have a commitment from their employer to support the time off from work required to support this commitment.
- Have a willingness to cultivate and recruit future Board members and other volunteers.
- Possess honesty, sensitivity to and tolerance of differing views, and a desire to serve as a member of a team.
- Be friendly, responsive, and patient in dealings with fellow Board members, and possess a sense of humor.
- Adhere to the ISC2 Code of Ethics.
- Promote the agreed collective Board opinion above their own personal views.
- Advocate for the organization.
- Work for change or acceptance where organizational views do not mirror those of the Board member.
- Refrain from bringing the organization into disrepute through personal actions or words.
- Qualify for eligibility based on the current ISC2 Bylaws.
Q: What selection criteria does the Board Nominations Committee use?
A: The primary criteria used by the Nominations Committee are a matching of potential candidates to the ‘Experience and Personal Characteristics’ described above. The Committee will not nominate anyone whom the members feel, or know from experience, cannot meet these requirements. Above all, the Board is concerned with how well the membership will be served through the work and responsibilities of their proposed nominees.
Q: Can ISC2 members nominate others for Board election?
A: No. Following the update to the nomination process in 2022, ISC2 members may only nominate themselves for consideration for the Board. If you know a member you think should serve, please pass along the link to the nominations portal.
Q: What are the instructions for submitting petitions to nominate a Board candidate?
A: To submit a petition, follow these steps:
- No later than the deadline, submit a written or electronic petition to ISC2, containing the signatures of no less than 500 ISC2 members who are in good standing.
- For electronic petitions, the candidate must submit an email that contains (a) original encapsulated emails from supporters using their email address of record and providing their ISC2 member ID number; and, (b) an Excel spreadsheet listing of all such names with corresponding email address of record and ISC2 member ID number.
- All petitions will be verified to ensure that they meet all requirements. If yours does not, you will be notified as soon as possible, giving you the opportunity to resolve the matters that prevented your first submission from being accepted and submit a corrected petition.
- If someone else nominates you, you may decline the nomination.
- Petitions must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5 p.m. ET, August 12, 2023.
Q: Who should I contact if I have other questions about the Board election?
A: Please reach out to email@example.com.
2023 Board of Directors election information will be available October 4, 2023.